Terms & Conditions
Summary Terms and Conditions:
Participation limited to legal residents of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada (excluding Quebec), Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, and Vietnam, 18+. Void where prohibited. Enter beginning on 11.04.19 through 11.25.19. To Enter: Post on Instagram or on the Booking.com Facebook page, and tell us in no more than 300 words which accommodation you stayed at on a Booking.com trip between September 28, 2018 and November 3, 2019, the position/job title/job responsibility of your hospitality Hero (the “Booking Hero”), and what they did to go above and beyond. Make sure to include #BookingHero and #Contest and if you’re on Instagram, tag @BookingCom and set your account to public. The Prizes: one (1) First Prize: €25,000 of Booking.com credit for the First Prize winner and €25,000 of Booking.com credit for their Booking Hero; and two (2) Runner-up Prizes: Each Runner-up Prize winner to receive €5,000 of Booking.com credit for themselves and €5,000 of Booking.com credit for their Booking Hero. Booking.com credit can be used to pay for stays at any Booking.com Partner property that accepts Booking.com wallet credits. Visit https://hero.booking.com for Full Terms & prize details. Promoter: Booking.com B.V, Herengracht 597, 1017 CE Amsterdam, Netherlands. Winning a prize is contingent on fulfilling all requirements as set forth herein at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
Full Terms and Conditions:
- The “My Booking Hero 2019” (the “Promotion” or “Competition”) is only open to legal residents of the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada (excluding Quebec), Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, and Vietnam, who are 18 years of age or older and who have made a reservation for an accommodation through Booking.com and have stayed in the subject accommodation between September 28, 2018 and November 3, 2019 (the eligible “Entrants” or “Participants”). Participants must be able to provide the Booking.com booking confirmation number associated with their name, date of stay, and the subject property in order to prove their stay, at any time, at the sole discretion of the Promoter.
- Entrants must ensure that their participation (including the acceptance of any prize awarded) is lawful in accordance with the laws of the country in which they reside. This Promotion is void where prohibited. The Promoter shall not be taken to make any representations, express or implied, as to the lawfulness of any individual's participation, or as to any other aspect of any Promotion.
- Employees of Booking.com (the “Promoter”) and their direct family and anyone otherwise connected with the Promoter in any way, are exempt from entering the Competition.
- Individuals who are not legal residents of the aforementioned territories are prohibited from entering the Competition. Participation in this Competition is void where prohibited or otherwise restricted by law. You are responsible for complying with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations, in addition to determining whether you are permitted to participate in this Competition.
- Legal residency is determined by the following factors: (a) for passport holders, the country issuing the passport held by such entrant determines legal residency, and if such entrant holds more than one passport, from among those countries the country in which such entrant most recently has maintained his or her legal residence is his or her legal residency; (b) for non-passport holders, the country in which entrant is legally eligible to obtain a passport, and if there is more than one such country, then from among such countries the one from which entrant will secure a passport to travel as a Finalist if Entrant is determined to be a Finalist.
- Promotion Period:
- The Promotion Period begins at 00:01 GMT on November 4, 2019 and ends at 23:59 GMT on November 25, 2019 (the “Promotion Period”).
- How To Enter:
- During the Promotion Period, log into your Facebook or Instagram account (or create one for free). Entry into the Competition can only be made via posting on your Facebook or Instagram account as noted below (the “Entry” or the “Post”).
- For Facebook: Follow the instructions below for posting on the Booking.com Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/bookingcom/. Make sure to include #BookingHero and #Contest in your post.
- For Instagram: Follow the instructions below for posting on your Instagram account page. Make sure to include #BookingHero and #Contest in your post and tag @BookingCom. Your Instagram account must be set to public throughout the duration of the Promotion Period and Notification/Award dates so the Promoter can read your entry and contact you if necessary.
- Your post should include: (i) the name of the property you stayed at on your Booking.com trip, (ii) the position/job title/job responsibility of the staff member who you are nominating as your Booking Hero, and (iii) what they did to go above and beyond to make or save your trip. IMPORTANT: Never publicly share the name of the Booking Hero. Should you do so, the Promoter reserves the right to delete your entry on Facebook, or if you have posted on Instagram, you will delete said post within a period of one hour of being contacted by the Promoter to alert you to this issue.
- It is your responsibility to obtain consent of the Booking Hero you are nominating to participate in the Promotion.
- All entries must be posted by 23:59 GMT on November 25, 2019. Entries posted after this deadline date and time will not be eligible to participate in this Competition.
- Entry Submission Guidelines and Restrictions:
- One entry per person, regardless of method of entry.
- Essay must not exceed 300 words.
- The Booking Hero may be nominated more than once.
- The nominated Booking Hero must be employed at the subject accommodation at time of entry and of award in order for the entry to be valid and if selected as the winner, for prize to be awarded.
- Entry / Posts can be written in the official language of the country wherein the Entrant resides.
- All entries must be made directly by the person entering the Promotion.
- Bulk entries from trade, consumer groups, or third parties will not be accepted. Incomplete or illegible entries and entries which do not satisfy the requirements of these Terms and Conditions in full will be disqualified and will not be counted.
- In the event that a property or staff member working at that property has opted out of the Promotion or has not provided consent, the Promoter will delete any entries on Facebook relating to that property or staff member working at that property. Entrants agree that should they post on Instagram about a property or staff member working at that property and either have not provided consent or opted out of the Promotion, they will delete said post within a period of one hour of being contacted by the Promoter to alert them to this issue. Entrant understands and agrees to have obtained Booking Hero’s consent to nominate the individual publicly as a Booking Hero.
- Entry must be the original work of the Entrant. Modifying, enhancing, or altering a third party’s pre-existing work does not qualify as Entrant’s original creation.
- Entry should not infringe any copyrights or the rights of any third party, including but not limited to privacy, publicity, trademark, or other intellectual property rights. Promoter reserves the right to allow Submissions containing only non-infringing use of third-party copyrights or trademarks.
- Entry must not contain footage of third parties without their permission.
- Entry must not contain content that depicts / promotes any dangerous behavior or activity that may result in injury to oneself or others.
- Entry must not in any way disparage Promoter or any persons or organizations; Entry should not contain offensive words, statements, or content (including words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic group); Entry must not in any other way violate applicable federal, state, country, provincial, or local laws and regulations; must not contain illegal content; and must be suitable for presentation in a public forum.
- Entry must not promote any political agenda.
- Judging to Determine Winners:
- On or about November 26, 2018 at the offices of the Promoter, all entries submitted will be judged down to a longlist from of all eligible entries received by the close of the Promotion Period by the Promoter (at its sole discretion) based on the following judging criteria (the “Criteria”) which will be equally weighted to determine a final score:
- Has the entrant demonstrated how the Booking Hero has gone above and beyond to show high levels of hospitality?
- Would the experience be unforgettable for both the entrant and the Booking Hero?
- Is the entry interesting, engaging, and of a high standard?
- The Promoter will notify the longlisted entrants by message to the social media account used to enter the Promotion to ask for an email address. Correspondence via this email address will be used to garner additional information about the entrant and his/her Booking Hero, including verifying that both the entrant and their Booking Hero are valid / eligible participants.
- Correspondence will also occur with the nominated Booking Hero, who must remain in employment at the subject accommodation in order for the entry to be valid. If a longlisted entrant or their Booking Hero does not respond within 48 hours after first contact, or if their Account is set to private and unable to accept messaging, refuses the prize, cannot produce valid proof of their Booking.com trip referenced in their Entry, and / or their Booking Hero is not an employee of the accommodations referenced in the entry, then the Promoter reserves the right to disqualify that Entrant and their Booking Hero, at their sole discretion.
- From amongst the final longlist of eligible entrants (the “Semi-Finalists”), the Promoter and a qualified independent party will re-judge these entries using the Judging Criteria noted above to determine the top three entries (the “Finalists”),
- Representatives of the Promoter will then re-evaluate each Finalist Entry based on the additional information garnered to determine one (1) First prize winner and the two (2) Runner-up Prize winners.
- Decisions of the Promoter shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- An Entrant is not deemed a Finalist or Winner of any prize, even if a notification should so indicate, unless and until (i) the Entrant’s eligibility has been verified, (ii) all requirements determined by the Promoter in order to claim a prize have been fulfilled and (iii) the Entrant has been notified that the acceptance and verification process is complete.
- Prizes and Approximate Values:
- Booking.com credit Prizes:
One (1) First Prize consisting of €50,000 of Booking.com credit to be awarded as follows: €25,000 for the entrant and €25,000 for his / her nominated Booking Hero.
Two (2) Runner-up Prizes: each consisting of €10,000 of Booking.com credit to be awarded as follows: €5,000 for the entrant and €5,000 for his / her nominated Booking Hero.
Total value of all Booking.com credit prizes offered in this Promotion is €70,000.
- Finalist Travel Prizes:
The Finalists may be flown to a relevant filming location at a time decided during communication with the Promoter. Entrants must be willing and available to travel for a period of 4 days between November 26, 2019 and January 31, 2020, and their Booking Hero must be willing and available for two overlapping days during this travel period. Approximate Retail Value of each trip is €3,000.
The confirmed First Prize winner and Runner-Up Prize winners and their respective Booking Heroes must be willing and available to travel to Amsterdam for a period of 3 days between January 3, 2020 and February 1, 2020 if requested. Approximate Retail Value of each trip is €3,000. Total value of all Booking.com travel prizes offered in this Promotion is €18,000.
Total value of all Booking.com travel prizes offered in this Promotion is €18,000.
- Prize / Travel Information and Restrictions:
- The Promoter may refuse to award a prize, or seek its recovery, in the event of an entrant's fraud, dishonesty, or non-entitlement under these Terms and Conditions.
- Only the confirmed winners and their Booking Hero as verified by the Promoter will receive the prizes listed herein.
- Submission/Posting of an Entry does not constitute or warrant receipt of a prize.
- Booking.com credit can be used to pay for stays at any Booking.com Partner property that accepts Booking.com wallet credits and is subject to the Booking.com terms and conditions.
- Booking.com credit will be credited to the winners’ accounts on February 3, 2020. If a winner does not have a Booking.com account, an account must be created. Booking.com offers a two factor authentication service to its account holders and strongly recommends that winners make use of this service.
- Credits will be valid for a period of five years from the date that they were applied by the Promoter directly into the winner’s Booking.com Account.
- Winners are prohibited from selling their Booking.com Wallet credits. Should Booking.com learn that a winner is selling their credits, Booking.com reserves the right to disable these credits.
- In no event will Promoter be obligated to award more prizes than the number of available prizes stated in these Terms and Conditions.
- Prizes are non-transferable and no cash or other alternative to the prizes are available in whole or in part. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute an alternative Prize of equal or greater value.
- The winner(s) are entirely responsible for assessing and paying all applicable federal, provincial, state, and local taxes in any respect of the prize received, if any, including any income or withholding taxes. In the event that the Promoter is or may reasonably become obliged to pay any withholding tax in relation to the prize, the Promoter is entitled to deduct such tax from a prize.
- Airline seats are subject to availability.
- Flights may be overnight so recipients may be required to depart or arrive in their home country either side of the specified trip dates.
- Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable; black-out dates and restrictions may apply. All travel must be booked at the Promoters sole discretion. No substitutions or transfer of trip prizes allowed.
- All travelers are subject to the Airline’s published Conditions of Carriage.
- Once tickets have been issued, they are only valid for flights, dates, and times shown.
- Travel must be taken at the stated times; no alternatives are available. Name changes to the flight seats once confirmed are not permitted.
- If a booking is canceled by the winner, the prize will be forfeited. No alternative tickets will be issued and for the avoidance of doubt, no compensation and/or refund will be provided.
- Promoter is not responsible for lost, mutilated, or stolen travel documents. Prize may be forfeited if (a) proper travel documents for any and all travel are unattainable for any reason within the time required by the Promoter, or (b) if any immigration or travel documentation complications arise which prohibit a Winner from traveling to, or from the stated destination. In the latter event, Winner will be solely responsible for arranging and paying for travel, back to their point of origin. Winners are solely responsible for determining and complying with all applicable international/domestic travel procedures and restrictions.
- Traveler and their respective guest must travel on the same itinerary.
- Flight extras are not included in the prize (flight extras include, but are not limited to, on-board meals, and drinks).
- Appropriate and suitable travel and / or cancellation insurance will be the responsibility of each traveler.
- All travelers must possess required travel documents and will require a passport valid for at least 6 months on date of travel; any necessary visas or travel insurance are the responsibility of the winner and their guest / and must meet entry requirements. Please note, effective April 1, 2016, all passengers traveling to the USA under the Visa Waiver Program must hold a passport with an integrated chip.
- For the avoidance of doubt, the prize does not include travel / transportation, accommodation, food, beverages, souvenirs, gratuities, car parking charges, excess baggage, additional excursions, and attractions or any other costs of a personal nature (including spending money) that are not explicitly set out in these terms and conditions and neither the Promoter nor any provider of any part of the Prize will be responsible for any such costs.
- The travelers may be required to sign a legal waiver, confidentiality undertaking, assignment of rights and disclaimer of liability as a condition of accepting and partaking in the prize;
- Travel and other relevant insurance will be the responsibility of all travelers.
- The travelers must inform the Promoter of any wheelchair or any similar access needs.
- All medical conditions are required to be detailed in advance of the booking and a doctor’s note may be required.
- The Promoter will pay the cost of the standard room plus related room taxes; and;
- The travelers are solely responsible for any additional charges incurred at the hotel during their stay, including, without limitation, costs of meals, drinks, additional nights and services together with related taxes; and a valid credit or debit card will be required to check in to your room and will be used to guarantee any incidentals such as in-room calls or services.
- General Release and Liability Release:
- By participating in this Promotion, participants will be deemed to have accepted that they are bound by these Terms and Conditions.
- By entering this Promotion, Finalists / Winners hereby grant the Promoter (or the Promoter’s designee) the exclusive right to film, tape, sound record, and photograph their activities in connection with the Promotion and (if applicable) any prizes. Everything filmed, taped, or recorded by the Promoter (or the Promoter’s designee) shall be known as “Footage.” All entrants hereby irrevocably and unconditionally assign to the Promoter with full title guarantee (and by way of present assignment of present and future rights) all intellectual property rights in any Footage throughout the world for the full unexpired period of such rights and all renewals, reversions, and extensions of such period as may be provided under any applicable law throughout the world. All entrants hereby irrevocably and unconditionally waive in favor of the Promoter, Booking.com’s affiliates and their licensees, assigns, and successors in title, all moral rights in any Footage to which he or she is, or may at any time in the future be entitled.
- No liability is accepted for illegible, incomplete, or late entries or posts.
- By entering the Promotion, entrants give their permission for their entries to be used by the Promoter without further compensation, over and above the award of the prize, in perpetuity for promotion purposes from the date of entry. Copyright of the subject entry or post will remain with the entrant. However, by entering this Promotion, the entrant agrees to the Promoter publishing these entries or posts on their website and possible further use on their website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or other social media platforms. They also agree to other possible promotional use in media of the Promoter’s choosing without any further payment, over and above the award of the prize, for up to one year from the date of entry but with appropriate credit given to the original entrant.
- Promotor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, vendors, advertising, and promotion agencies will have no responsibility for promotional materials that may be illegible, mutilated, altered, forged, duplicated, or tampered with in any way, or for printing, typographical, mechanical, or other errors or for any error in the notification or announcement of the prize.
- If you are deemed a Finalist in this Promotion, you agree that the Promoter may use your name, image, and town or country of residence to announce the winner(s) of this Competition and for any other reasonable and related promotional purposes.
- By accepting a prize (Booking.com credit and / or travel), winners agree to participate in any reasonable publicity arranged by the Promoter or by its agencies. In order to be confirmed as a winner both the entrant and the Booking Hero must agree to all terms and be available for publicity as reasonably instructed by the Promoter.
- If things go wrong and, despite the Promoter’s best endeavors, they are unable to administer the Promotion fairly or properly, the Promoter and their affiliated companies are not responsible and have the right to cancel or change the Promotion. This will only been done in exceptional circumstances. The Promoter also has the right to disqualify a participant if they tamper or abuse the entry process and they will not be entitled to the prize if they have acted fraudulently or dishonestly.
- The Promoter cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, or injury suffered by any entrant entering the Promotion or as a result of accepting or participating in any prize.
- Entrants assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this Competition or use or redemption of any prize. Booking.com and its subsidiaries, affiliates, promotion agencies, vendors, prize suppliers, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees, and assigns, as well as Facebook and Instagram (collectively the “Released Parties”) will have no liability for any claim arising in connection with participation in this Competition (including any harm caused or claimed to be caused during the shooting of the Footage), or the acceptance or use of any prize.
- Entrant releases Promoter from any claims arising out of any use or disclosure of an entry consistent with these Terms and Conditions. Promoter does not accept any liability for the publication of unlawfully reproduced entry content.
- Nothing in these Terms and Conditions should be construed so as to limit or exclude either the Released Parties or the Entrant from liability for fraudulent misrepresentation.
- The Promoter will use the personal data supplied to Promoter for the running of the Promotion and follow up promotion of the results as set out in these Terms and Conditions. The Promoter may further use personal data for purposes as set out in the Booking.com Privacy Statement www.booking.com/content/privacy, such as for internal analytical purposes, fraud detection and prevention or other compliance or legal purposes as set out in the Booking.com Privacy Statement. The Promoter is the data controller of any personal data received as part of the Promotion. If you have any question or concern about the use of personal data by the Promoter, please contact [firstname.lastname@example.org].
- The Promoter fully respects freedom of speech, but prior to entering the promotion, those selected as winners must not have uttered, posted, published, or caused to be published by way of press, radio, television, or in any social medium, any comments that are likely to discredit or damage the reputation of the Promoter or their product(s) or service(s) or be in breach of the rules of the relevant media. In addition winners must not do so during the life of the promotion. If, the Promoter, in its absolute discretion, decides that a winner has breached this condition, that winners’ entitlement to the prize may be canceled and a substitute winner chosen on the same basis as the original winner.
- Governing Law:
- By entering the Competition, entrants hereby expressly agree and accept that for all that is related to the interpretation, performance and enforcement of these Terms and Conditions, which are governed by Dutch Law and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, expressly waiving to any other jurisdiction that could correspond to them by virtue of their present or future domicile or by virtue of any other cause. For additional information regarding governing law, disputes and arbitration go to www.booking.com/content/terms.
- If any provision of these rules is invalid under the law, rules or regulations of a particular country, it will only apply to the extent permitted.
- NO LEGAL PROCEDURE: For German residents only: Any recourse to the courts of law is excluded [German translation: Der Rechtsweg ist ausgeschlossen].
- For EU Residents only:
- Promoter shall be fully liable for intent and gross negligence as well as for damages caused by injury to life, body or health caused by Promoter as a direct result or consequence of this Competition.
- In an event of slight negligence, Promoter shall be liable only for breaches of a material contractual obligation (“Cardinal Duty”). A Cardinal Duty in the meaning of this provision is an obligation whose fulfillment makes the implementation of this contract possible in the first place and on the fulfillment of which the contractual partner may therefore generally rely.
- Promoter shall not be liable for any lack of commercial success, lost profits, non-foreseeable damages, and indirect damages.
- The total liability amount shall not exceed €70,000.
- The limitation of liability shall apply mutatis mutandis to the benefit of the employees, agents, and vicarious agents of Promoter.
- If applicable, any potential liability on the part of Promoter for any warranties and for claims based on the applicable Product Liability Act shall not be affected.
- MISCELLANEOUS: In the event of any conflict between the English version of these Terms and Conditions and any translation, the English version shall prevail. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision herein shall not affect in any way the validity and enforceability of any other provision in these Terms and Conditions.
- Who Won? The first names and regions of residence and winning entries of the winners can be obtained by sending an email to email@example.com which will be available after February 3, 2020 for 4 weeks.
- COUNTRY SPECIFIC NOTICES: If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is invalid under the law, rules or regulations of a particular country, it will only apply to the extent permitted. In addition to the tax liability disclosures in these Terms & Conditions, Finalists / Winners are subject to abide by the income reporting and, if applicable, the payment of any taxes due per the laws, rules, and regulations of the Finalist / Winner’s country of residence. By entering the Competition, entrants hereby expressly agree and accept that for all that is related to the interpretation, performance and enforcement of these Terms and Conditions, which are governed by Dutch Law and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, expressly waiving to any other jurisdiction that could correspond to them by virtue of their present or future domicile or by virtue of any other cause.
By participating as an Entrant in the Competition, you acknowledge and agree that you have carefully read, these entire Terms and Conditions and understand that you are bound by each and every term of this document.
Promoter: Booking.com B.V, Herengracht 597, 1017 CE Amsterdam, Netherlands